Throughout 2021 and 2022, the Planning Division will be assisting with the creation of Together2045 – The City of Bismarck’s Comprehensive Plan. Visit the project website to learn more about this plan and how to be involved.
The Planning Division is responsible for:
- Administering land use regulations for the City of Bismarck and its extra-territorial area (ETA).
- Coordinating the development review process for zoning changes, major and minor subdivision plats, annexations, special use permits, variances, lot modifications, plat modifications (right-of-way vacations, easement releases, street name changes), site plan review and downtown design review.
- Administering HUD Grant Programs (CDBG and HOME) for the City.
- Administering Downtown Programs (Renaissance Zone and Downtown Design Review) for the City.
- Providing staff support to the Planning & Zoning Commission, the Board of Adjustment, the Renaissance Zone Authority and the Historic Preservation Commission.
The City of Bismarck's Community Development Department has planning, zoning and building inspection authority within the City of Bismarck and its extra-territorial area (ETA). The City’s extra-territorial area (map) reflects negotiated boundaries with the City of Lincoln, Burleigh County, Apple Creek Township and Naughton Township.
The Planning Division is located on the second floor of the City-County Office Building at 221 North 5th Street.
Resources & Information
Infill and Redevelopment Plan
Downtown Bismarck Sub Area Plan
2014 Growth Management Plan
Kim Lee, AICP - Planning Manager
William Hutchings, AICP - Senior Planner/Land Use Planning
Daniel Nairn, AICP - Senior Planner/Land Use Planning
Maureen Mungai - Planner/HUD Grant Programs
Jenny Wollmuth, AICP, CFM - Senior Planner/Land Use Planning
Hilary Balzum - Senior Administrative Assistant
Sandra Bogaczyk - Office Assistant II