City of Bismarck


Where can I get my birth certificate?

Your birth certificate can be requested at the Department of Vital Statistics at the State Capitol. The telephone number is (701) 328-2360. They can also be reached by email or contact them at Vital Records.

What hours are the landfill open?

For information on the landfill hours, contact

Public Works.

What is the humane society telephone number?

The Central Dakota Humane Society is located in Mandan. The phone number is (701) 667-2020. Bismarck has an Animal Impound Facility. The phone number is (701) 355-1994.

What is the telephone number for the school district?

Bismarck Public Schools 806 N Washington Street BPS Administration: (701)323-4000 You can visit the school district at

Bismarck Public Schools

When and where does the City Commission meet?

The City Commission meets every second and fourth Tuesday of the month at 5:15 pm in the Tom Baker Meeting Room of the City County Building at 221 N 5th Street. The Mayor or two commissioners can call for a special meeting at any time. City commission meetings are televised on Channel 12, Community Access TV and are rerun the following day at noon.

Who do I talk to about parks and recreation concerns?

The telephone number for Bismarck Parks and Recreation is 222-6455. Or the office can be contacted by email.

Who can run for mayor or commissioner?

Residents 18 and over must have been a resident of the City of Bismarck for at least nine months prior to the election. To get on the ballot, candidates must collect 300 signatures from Bismarck residents. Election administrators suggest collecting up to 350 signatures and turning in petitions at least one day before the deadline since some may be eliminated for not being from valid city residents. POST OFFICE BOXES ARE NOT CONSIDERED A VALID ADDRESS. For more information, call Bismarck City Administration at 355-1300.

How can we close a street for a neighborhood gathering?

Contact Mark Berg, Traffic Engineer, at 355-1505.

Where do I get a dog/cat license?

Contact the Animal Control Officer at the Bismarck Police Department - (701) 223-1212.

What is a special assessment?

Special Assessments The City of Bismarck conducts a number of improvement projects every year. Some projects bring city services to new areas of the city. Other projects make repairs in older sections of Bismarck. All of this work is done with the help of Special Assessments. Special assessments on private property pay for public improvements that benefit that property. Improvements that would bring special assessments fall under four main categories: 1) storm sewer, 2) sewer and water, 3) paving and street lights, and 4) sidewalk, curb and gutter. When the City Engineering Department decides work needs to be done, they create a special assessment district which includes all property the city judges will benefit from the improvement project. The Board of City Commissioners approves each special assessment district. The district is then published in the city’s official newspaper, the Bismarck Tribune, two times over a two-week period. Property owners have the right to protest the district when the improvements are not health-related, like those involving sewer and water. If it’s not a health-related improvement and 51 percent of the owners in the district protest the work, the project is cancelled. Once the district is approved, the City Engineering Department takes bids on the project. When the project is completed, the construction costs are assessed against the benefiting property on ratios that depend on the work being done: 1) storm sewer –assessed based on the square feet of the lot, 2) sewer and water – this work is usually prepaid by the company or person developing new lots, 3) paving and street lights – assessed on per-lot basis, and 4) sidewalk, curb and gutter – based on the actual amount of sideway, curb and gutter. Once the assessments are made on properties, they are published in the newspaper twice during a two week period. Property owners have the right to protest before the Special Assessment Commission, a three member board appointed by the City Commissioners. The Special Assessment Commission’s job is to make sure the assessments are spread fairly among properties, not whether the work should be done. If the property owner’s protest is unsuccessful, the owner may appeal that decision to the City Commission. Special Assessments may be paid in full, or they will be billed to the property owner in installments. The installments will be spread over seven to 15 years, depending on the type of improvement. Notice of the installment due each year is sent to property owners on the property tax notices and the installment is paid along with property taxes through the Burleigh County Auditors Office. Partial payment is now accepted on special assessments or owners may pay off the full balance at the Special Assessments Office, 3rd floor, City/County Building, 221 N. 5th Street.

When does the city do its budget?

The city begins work on the budget in May and the budget is approved by the city commission prior to October 1.

Where can I get a copy of the city budget?

A reference copy is available for public review at the Bismarck Public Library. You may also purchase a copy for $25 from the City Finance Department located at: 221 N. 5th St. Bismarck, ND 58506

What is the number for the Internal Revenue Service?

The toll-free telephone number is (800) 829-4477. The local telephone number is (701) 221-5834.

Who manages the parking garages?

The parking garages and public lots are governed by the Bismarck Parking Authority. Contact them at (701) 222-8954.

What is the number for the Chamber of Commerce?

The Chamber can be reached at (701) 223-5660 or they can be reached at Chamber of Commerce

What is the number for Job Service?

The telephone number for Job Service is (701) 328-5000 and they can be reached at North Dakota Job Service

Are door-to-door sales allowed in residential areas?

Yes. Door-to-door sales or solicitation is allowed in residential areas pursuant to the Code of Ordinances 5401 5-07-07 and are permitted only between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., daily.

What is the telephone number for the Bismarck Post Office?

Contact Numbers: Phone: 800-275-8777 Fax: 701-255-6963 TTY: 877-889-2457 Toll-Free: 1-800-Ask-USPS® (275-8777) Bismarck Downtown Post Office 220 E Rosser Ave Rm 112, Bismarck, ND 58501

What is the telephone number for the Bismarck Social Security Office?

Social Security Office Phone Numbers:


TTY: 1-800-325-0778

Social Security Office Address:

4207 Boulder Ridge Rd Suite 100 

Bismarck, ND 58503 


Where can I view the City's Title VI Plan?

The City of Bismarck maintains a plan to comply with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. View more details of the Title VI Plan here: Title VI Plan