Election Resources & Information
- Election Forms
- Running for City Office
- Political Signs
- Qualifications for Voting
- Secretary of State
- Where Do I Vote - Find Your Polling Place
Municipal City Elections & Special Elections
Municipal City elections are held the second Tuesday in June of even-numbered years. Special elections are held as the City Commission calls for and approves them.
Any person who is a qualified elector and a resident of the City of Bismarck is qualified to be a member of the Board of City Commissioners and Board of Park Commissioners. Candidates are required to file a Petition/Certificate of Nomination (SFN 02704) with at least 300 signatures, and a Statement of Interests (SFN 10172). Forms are available on the ND Secretary of State’s website, or by contacting the City Administrator’s Office at 701-355-1300.
To get on the ballot, candidates must collect 300 signatures from Bismarck residents. Election administrators suggest collecting up to 350 signatures and turning in petitions at least one day before the deadline (some signatures may be eliminated if not from valid city residents). Post office boxes are not considered a valid address. Only complete addresses are accepted.
- A complete filing must include:
- Petition/Certification of Nomination
- A Statement of Interests
- Filing Date is April 6, 2020 at 4PM in the City Administration Department, 221 North 5th Street – 4th floor
- There are two City Commission positions up for election, two Park Board positions, and one municipal judge position up for election on June 9, 2020.