Water Service Line Information
Residential Water Service Line Repair Policy
According to Bismarck City Ordinance Title 11-02-01.1g all service pipes, curb boxes, corporation stops, shut off boxes and any other fixtures off of the main are the property of the owner and must be kept in repair at the owner's expense.
This policy establishes the conditions under which the City of Bismarck will incur or reimburse costs using the Service Line Repair Fund. View and print Policies on Residential Water Service Lines
Water service lines connected to the City water main which serve residential properties with four living units or less, are charged a monthly fee to establish a Service Line Repair Fund. Those properties that pay the monthly fee into the fund are eligible for reimbursement of costs according to the following policies:
Water Service Line Repair Policy
- The repair policy covers leak repairs to tapping saddle or corporation stop connections to the City water main.
- Leak repairs of the curb stop inlet or outlet connection.
- The adjustment of curb boxes.
- Repair of inoperable curb stops.
- The City will undertake the repair including any surface restoration deemed necessary by the Director of Utility Operations, and the cost will be covered by the fund.
- Not eligible are any repairs required due to damage caused by the property owner or third parties and any damages caused by a leak outside the repair area.
Additional Policy Information for Water Service Line Repair
- Maintenance and repair of water service lines are the responsibility of the property owner.
- The City will not be responsible for any repairs ordered prior to January 1, 2008 to correct service line leaks or to repair an inoperable curb stop needed to shut off service due to non-payment of bills.
- The City’s acceptance of responsibility to pay for repairs is not an admission of liability or negligence on behalf of the City.
- The lead service line replacement policy covers removal of lead water service line from the City water main to the curb stop.
- The work is only eligible if completed in combination with the property owner's replacement of the lead water service line between the curb stop and the meter.
- The direct cost of the work from the City water main to the curb stop including any surface restoration deemed necessary by the Director of Utility Operations is eligible for reimbursement.
- Due to the health and safety related issues related to lead service lines, the City of Bismarck will allow the property owner's replacement cost of the lead service line from the curb stop to the meter to be paid through a special assessment on the property.
Frozen Water Service Line Policy
- The frozen water service line policy covers only restoring water service from the City water main to the meter due to extensive frost depth.
- This policy does not include damages caused by negligence of the property owner or third parties or any damages resulting from the frozen line.
- The property owner's contracted expense to restore service will be reviewed and the cost for the work deemed necessary by the Director of Utility Operations is eligible for reimbursement.