According to Bismarck City Ordinance Title 11-02-01.1g
all service pipes, curb boxes, corporation stops, shut off boxes and any other fixtures off of the main are the property of the owner and must be kept in repair at the owner’s expense.
This policy will establish the conditions under which the City of Bismarck will assume the responsibility for repairs of certain water service lines and appurtenances.
The City of Bismarck, through its Water Utility, will be responsible for repairs to water service lines serving residential properties of 4 living units or less.
Repairs will be limited to the portions of those service lines located in the public right of way. Repair of connections to private water mains are not covered by this policy.
Repairs covered will include,
but will not be limited
Additional Policy Information
- Leaks at the tapping saddle or corporation stop connection to the main
- Leaks at the inlet or outlet connection to the curb stop
- Inoperable curb stops
- Raised curb boxes
- The cost of repairs shall include any surface restoration deemed necessary by the Director of Utility Operations as a result of the repairs.
- Ownership of all service connections shall remain with the property owner.
- The cost of repairs will be paid for from an account funded by the establishment of a surcharge on the monthly water bill for the properties covered by the policy.
- The initial charge will be $1.00 per month per account which shall be reviewed annually and adjusted as necessary by the Board of City Commissioners.
- The City will not be responsible for any repairs ordered prior to January 1, 2008 to correct service line leaks or to repair an inoperable curb stop needed to shut off service due to non-payment of bills.
- The City will not be responsible to repair damage caused by the actions of the homeowner or third parties, such as an unrelated excavation or tampering with the curb stop.
- The City’s acceptance of responsibility to pay for repairs is not an admission of liability or negligence on behalf of the City.