Kim Lee, AICP
221 N. 5th St.
PO Box 5503
Ph: (701) 355-1840
Fx: (701) 222-6450
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Planning Division is responsible for:
- Administering land use regulations for the City of Bismarck and its extra-territorial area (ETA).
- Coordinating the development application process for zoning changes, major and minor subdivision plats, annexations, special use permits, variances, lot modifications, plat modifications (right-of-way vacations, easement releases, street name changes), site plan review and downtown design review
- Administering HUD Grant Programs (CDBG and HOME) for the City
- Administering Downtown Programs (Renaissance Zone and CORE) for the City
- Providing staff support to the City Planning & Zoning Commission, the Board of Adjustment and the Renaissance Zone Authority
New ETA Boundary
On January 1, 2014, a new Extraterritorial Area (ETA) boundary for the City of Bismarck went into effect (map). This new ETA boundary was negotiated between the City and Burleigh County. The City also has a negotiated ETA boundary with Apple Creek Township and Naughton Township and is in the process of negotiating an ETA boundary with Missouri Township. The City of Bismarck continues to have planning and zoning authority within the ETA boundary.
In addition, as of January 1, 2014, Burleigh County discontinued its contract for planning services with the City of Bismarck. The Burleigh County Building/Planning/Zoning Department can be reached at (701)221-3727.
Resources & Information
Downtown Bismarck Sub Area Plan
2014 Growth Management Plan
Kim Lee - Planning Manager
Jason Tomanek - Senior Planner/Downtown Programs and Land Use Planning
Daniel Nairn - Planner/Land Use Planning
Sue Redman - Planner/HUD Grant Programs
Jenny Wollmuth - Planner/Land Use Planning
Hilary Balzum - Administrative Assistant
Sandra Bogaczyk - Office Assistant I