Operation & Management
The Traffic Engineering section includes the City Traffic Engineer and support staff. This section is operated and managed as a part of the Bismarck Engineering Department.
- Receives and responds to inquiries and comments from the public on transportation related issues
- Plans, designs, and operates the city's traffic signal system and school / pedestrian flashing beacons
- Plans, designs, and directs the implementation of all regulatory, parking, street name, guide, and warning signs
- Plans, designs, and directs the implementation of pavement markings
- Conducts traffic / pedestrian counts and transportation studies
- Organizes the administration of traffic signals and other traffic safety improvement projects
- Reviews traffic-related features of plats, site plans, transportation studies, and long-range plans
- Coordinates federal aid for transportation improvement projects
- Reviews construction signage for all work conducted in the public rights of way
- Reviews routes and issues permits for the movement of oversize loads
- Prepares the annual Capital Improvements Program for roadway projects
For more information, please contact the Engineering Department at 701 355-1505.